“As a survival instructor, I help people learn how to become self-reliant in remote, difficult situations. I can show you how to make yourself comfortable and calm, where otherwise you’d feel stressed. These skills and thought processes are easy to adapt to your everyday life too – wherever that is."
why I do IT
When I was learning to fly in the RAF I was in a very small minority: the tiny group who really enjoyed their survival training. It sparked an interest which has become a lifelong passion. Since those first experiences, I’ve been lucky enough to live by my wits – and sometimes with only the contents of my pockets – in some really remote spots, and I’ve passed on the self-reliance skills I’ve learned to people with all sorts of backgrounds; from Aid Workers and A-Listers, to Youth Groups and Zoologists.
So if you’re planning a deep jungle expedition, an arctic adventure – or simply want to know how to handle unfamiliar situations whilst travelling the world – I can show you how to prepare, and let you know what’s best to take with you: in your bag and in your head...
key skills & expertise
Here's a taste of the kind of things I do, in more detail:
- I am the UK military's Chief Survival Instructor, running courses worldwide
- I've created the UK forces' survival training manual and pocket-guide for downed aircrew
- I've tested my skills on international TV in front of millions during Discovery Channel's Survive That/ Dude You're Screwed
- I design training for self-reliance in extreme environments, for people from all walks of life
- I've worked with world-leading survival psychologists on innovative research projects
- I am qualified to plan and organise rescues on a global scale, during peace or conflict
- I advise industry on survival equipment for any scenario or environment
- I enjoy passing on my knowledge and opinion about all things survival-related through TV, radio, podcasts, writing and public speaking